Pages

January 11, 2016

Men's Raglan Shirt Failure

オットに新しく買った型紙を使ってラグラン袖のロンTを作ってみた。
が、出来は大失敗だった。
首が。
I made MOTH a raglan long sleeve T-shirt and I miserably failed.

The pattern was Simplicity 1605. I guess the men's patterns don't come with variety of sizes like women's patterns do? The smallest size for adult men was size S, so I cut the size S.
The failure shown above is mainly around the neck, and front neck to be specific. And this was after I had hand-basted bodice and sleeves and he had tried on, given me an OK and I had sewn everything and even coverstitched the neck band and hems. I should have looked more carefully when it was basted.

I could not think of a way to fix it other than putting a dart in on the shoulder, which I did not want to do, so I ended up drafting the sleeve pattern myself.
I don't know if this pattern would work. Other than my Sewaholic Minoru jacket, this is the only other raglan sleeve pattern I have sewn so I really don't know what to do and how the sleeve should fit. Looking at the pictures above, MOTH has square shoulder compared to the guy on the pattern envelope? Is there such thing as square shoulder adjustment for raglan sleeves?

I totally exhausted my brain power for now so the sewing will resume later. I don't have enough contrast fabric so before I can cut the sleeves, I will have to unpick the coverstitch and serger seams and see if I can salvage the existing sleeve.

No comments:

Post a Comment