Pages

December 23, 2019

Swoon Belle Baby Bag with Alice

先日作ったおむつ鞄の型紙で、もう一つ作りました。
アリス模様のこの布、かわいすぎで切るのもったいない。


I made my second Belle Baby Bag from Swoon with Alice in Wonderland fabric design from Rifle Paper Co. (Cotton + Steel fabric). 


The fabric is cotton/linen blend canvas with a bit of metallic gold paint. It feels soooo nice and it's soooo cute (and also soooo pricey and sooo narrow). However, the scale of the print was way bigger than I expected. Alice, especially, was way too long and I almost changed my mind making it into this bag. Because of the large motifs, I had to fussy cut a lot. It was painful to leave so much scrap. I had my first version on the cutting table for comparison so that I could picture the print placement better.


I ended up adding a seam for the exterior pocket so that there would be one Alice centered in one pocket and also other motifs featured in the other side without getting anybody's face chopped off. The seam is positioned at the inner fold of the pleats so nobody will see it.


I used the oxford poly canvas for the lining again, and used light blue marine vinyl for the accent. Since Soft & Stable made my previous version too bulky, I opted for fusible fleece this time for the main panels. Foam piping core keeps the bag's shape pretty well.



 I added a small rivet for the interior slip pocket divider this time.


Since the 10 mm purse feet were too small on the blue skull version, I chose 12 mm this time. Still small but that's what I had.


I followed the instruction for the centered zipper this time, but I tucked in the lining fabric away from the zipper teeth for the interior.

 

The key lanyard in the side pocket.


After I attached the bottom panel, I realized that I forgot to attach the D-ring connector in the side panel. I had already trimmed the seam allowance and burned the edges of my lining fabric (to keep it from fraying) so I had to unpick a small section of the side panel and inserted the connector. I sort of forced it shut and topstitched it down. The seams are horrendous there but hopefully non-sewer would not pay attention to a side panel...



I tried out the "stroller clips" in the closet.


I looove this fabric. I have enough fabric to make another bag (I got lucky end-of-the-bolt extra few inches) but I have to think really carefully what to make with it. Something that has large enough flat space to showcase the print. Hmmm. 

2 comments: