Pages

March 8, 2015

Completed: Strathcona for MOTH

なんと、初めてオットの服を作りました。
服っていってもただのロンTだけど。無地だし。
For the first time, I have made a piece of clothing for the Man of the House.

Summary:
Pattern is Strathcona Henley from Thread Theory. I purchased this pattern for the Henley but I wanted to test the fit so made a T-shirt version.

I actually made a short sleeve T-shirt version first as a mock-up to conserve fabric. Had some issues with fitting, and the long sleeve version is my second attempt. I will reuse the ill-fitting short sleeve version to make a T-shirt for me sometime later.

I cut a size M. Shortened bodice by 1.5", narrowed shoulder by 1/4", raised neck 3/4", cut a horizontal wedge at upper chest by 1" and 1" from back bodice, and shortened sleeve cap accordingly. I thought I shortened the cuff band as well but it's not in my notes .

The fabric is a 4-way stretch cotton jersey with 5% Lycra. 

Because of my alteration, I had to make up a neck band different from the pattern piece so I did not have any notches to match. I made an error on neck band placement so the neck band end that's sewn together, that I thought I had placed about an 1" behind the shoulder seam, was actually about an inch in front of the shoulder seam. If you look closely, you can see the seam from the front.

I like the fitting of the bodice and Thread Theory's usual unusually long sleeves. However, I can't seem to make the arm hole right... It is hard to explain but the shape of the arm hole makes it very restrictive to move arms... But I don't know what to do with it at my current knowledge.

For now, it's a pass. When I find a suitable waffle knit, I will try the Henley version.

One complaint from MOTH is that it's hard to know which side is front and which is back. Do I need to add a tag so that he doesn't accidentally wear it backwards?

No comments:

Post a Comment